Thomas Jefferson Test Prep
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is the #1 public high school in America. Its average SAT score is 1478, higher than the most prestigious boarding schools in the nation such as Phillips Andover Academy (1349) or Phillips Exeter Academy (1365).
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology at a glance
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) is a unique Fairfax County public school that provides an innovative, specialized learning environment for selected students. A Virginia Regional Governor’s School, TJHSST currently is open to students from Fairfax, Arlington, Fauquier, Loudoun, and Prince William counties and Falls Church City (the “participating school divisions”).
Admission to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is a competitive process for students interested in an intensive, challenging program focused on math, science, and technology.
TJHSST seeks highly motivated students who demonstrate:
- High ability, aptitude, and genuine interest in math, science or technology;
- Intellectual curiosity and self-motivation to pursue scientific research;
- A desire to be challenged with an extensive curriculum focused in math, science, and technology;
- An interest in the relationship and integration between the humanities and science and technology;
- The highest academic and personal integrity;
- An aspiration to become a member of a community of learners, explorers, mentors, and leaders;
- The capability to become citizens and leaders of the twenty-first century.
Applications to TJHSST should be undertaken with the understanding that no particular prior testing, grade point average, or gifted-and-talented program participation automatically qualifies a student for acceptance. Only five hundred students can be offered admission to the freshman class every year, and some who assume acceptance are disappointed. Only about 17% of the total applicants are offered admission each year.
The admissions process for TJHSST is overseen by the TJHSST Admissions Office. The Admissions Office is located at the Holmes Middle School Annex, 6525 Montrose Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22312. This location is across Braddock Road and a few blocks east of TJHSST. The Annex is behind Holmes Middle School and can be reached via parking-lot Entrance Two. The Admissions Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.